Old meets New, the Flusche Family at Bahrain Fort

Old meets New, the Flusche Family at Bahrain Fort
Life overseas can be an overwhelming and exciting adventure.
Come be swept away with us in the Kingdom of Bahrain!

Monday, February 22, 2010

Rug Flop

Think "jewelry party", only with Persian rugs instead of earrings. A rug flop is the only place you'll see a group of bare footed people rubbing themselves all over beautiful, one of a kind, expensive silky carpets. I was privileged to experience the craziness first hand this weekend at our friend Nomer's home!


Some of the finery we experienced that night.



Our Sadeeq (friend) Abdul gave a little background about the carpets he would be showing us that evening.



The guests "Ooooed" and "Ahhhed" as each rug was unrolled.



Guests really checking out the beauty of the carpet.



You only thought I was joking when I said people rubbed themselves all over the rugs... I wouldn't lie to you... see, I'm not kidding!



My Sedeeqa (friend) Katy striking a pose!



I really admired "The Tree of Life" Carpet, it is a silk on silk rug. It is so beautiful I would NEVER let anybody step on it - EVER! So don't even think about it! :)



This is the rug I fell in love with... then everybody jumped on it (literally)! It sold at the end of the night to our friends Erin and Jason... guess I'll have to go over to their home to enjoy it.



So many to choose from!



The back should be as lovely or more so than the front. Look at the detail!



Admire all the tiny knots, some rugs take more than a year to complete when worked on by 2-3 people. Can you imagine working your hands in knots for over a year's time to produce one item?



This is the van that delivered all the beautiful Carpets, talk about being loaded down! ;)


Thank you Nomer for opening your home to us and many thanks to Abdul for the food, carpet education and lots of fun!

No comments: