Old meets New, the Flusche Family at Bahrain Fort

Old meets New, the Flusche Family at Bahrain Fort
Life overseas can be an overwhelming and exciting adventure.
Come be swept away with us in the Kingdom of Bahrain!

Monday, August 9, 2010

It's Colossal!

Day 6: July 7, 2010

The day began with my early risers wanting to go swimming, when I say early, I mean EARLY - 5:45! We held them off for about an hour and then it was down stairs to the pool! We had a leisurely morning then off to ancient Rome. By the time we caught 2 busses and purchased our Roma Passes we arrived at the Colosseum around 1:30 and spent the rest of the day there.




Let's start off by saying how huge the structure is, so much bigger than I had imagined. To construct something that size in modern times would be a feat, I can't imagine what it must have seemed like to the people of ancient Rome. It's funny how in awe I am of the structure with all the large buildings I see in Bahrain on any given day, it still seem gigantic!



























Tanner's favorite part of the Colosseum was the gladiator costumes and the elevators that lifted the animals to the playing field. I asked him how he would feel standing out in the middle of the arena and not knowing what kind of a beast he would have to fight until it was right there in front of him... he said "I would be soooo scared Mommy, but then I would be brave". Well said. In all honesty I'm still a little shocked (and let's face it, disgusted) by all the actions that happened at the Colosseum. The big "take away" is that Romans were so civilized and advanced yet totally barbaric.





Following the Colosseum we admired the Arch of Constantine - AGAIN, with the size already! Forget about the intricate carvings, the sheer mass of the arch is something to behold. One thing is certain, when the Romans built something - THEY BUILT IT!







We made the hike North of the Colosseum up to the Caffe dello Studente where all the Univ. of Rome engineering students eat. The food was "just OK" but the atmosphere was nice.





All in all it was a "colossal" day! More ancient Rome tomorrow!

No comments: