Old meets New, the Flusche Family at Bahrain Fort

Old meets New, the Flusche Family at Bahrain Fort
Life overseas can be an overwhelming and exciting adventure.
Come be swept away with us in the Kingdom of Bahrain!

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

My First Attempt At Doing Henna



All I can say is that one should NOT drink coffee prior to attempting Henna on themselves (or anyone else for that matter), especially if it is your first time. I had a cup of coffee that morning and regretted it about 5 minutes into the experience. That being said, I think my henna turned out beautiful!

One week prior to my henna "test run" I took a class offered through Fleet and Family Support Center on base... it was like "Henna For Dummies" and I thought how hard can this be really? Actually there is some skill involved. One must make tiny dots all connected to each other to form a fluid line. The process is similar to writing with icing on a cake - the main difference is that icing can be removed from a cake if the decorator is not satisfied with the result, Henna - NOT SO MUCH! :)




I started at the tip of my pointer finger on my left hand and less than an hour later I had worked my way down to my wrist. I am very satisfied with the results and even now as my henna is one week old it still looks great. Henna comes in either a pen or a cone (similar to icing cones that you may see at a bakery).




There is a local henna beauty parlor named Henna Rachna that decorates women seven days a week, if you go there you will see women sprawled out in lounging chairs with henna artists performing their magic. Henna Rachna is where one can purchase a cone of henna for 500 fills (a little over one dollar) each cone lasts for two weeks if refrigerated. I look forward to doing henna again in the near future, I wish my sister Lauren lived closer so I could henna her pregnant belly - it would look so cute! Henna is great fun and a nice creative outlet, guess you can say I'm hooked!

No comments: